Free School Meals
Grants and Subsidies for Visits / Activities / School Meals
- Did you know that by registering for Free School Meals your child not only has the opportunity to enjoy a free school meal but they could also be entitled to a substantial reduction in the cost of some residential visits, after school activities and school holiday activities?
Am I Eligible for Free School Meals?
You may qualify if you are a parent, guardian or carer and receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Who can claim for free school meals
Free School Meals can be awarded for any Child that attends a school within Cheshire West and Chester area, even if they reside outside of the area, where a parent meets the qualifying criteria. Free School Meals cannot be awarded for foster children.
Free School Meals are available to pupils who attend sixth forms attached to a Local Authority maintained or Academy school, as long as the course of study began before the pupil reached age 18.
Free School Meals Helpline – 0300 123 7039
The free school meals team can assess your claim over the phone using an eligibility checker to confirm entitlement; if successful your claim will begin the same day. You can also apply by completing the online application form at www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk – just type free school meals into the search box and you will be directed to more information and the application form.